Skip to main content

10 Things I like about you: A list for friends on the 'other side' of the political aisle









Here’s the list I have for those who are on the other side of the aisle from me regarding politics this season. I have come up with a list of outstanding values and things we have in common with those who we feel we cannot talk to from ‘the other side’ of the political aisle.



1)      Your Respect for our common values: If you are truly a friend, you will recognize that we all have ideals and values that we are working to protect when we decide to vote and to support candidates. These are part of who we are and why we feel passionate about certain subjects.

2)      Your values and core beliefs: In this same vein, not only the common values we share, like love of country and belief that the country we support is great and continues to be great, we have core beliefs in basic things like love of family and hope that we will leave our world a better place for our children.

3)      The Fact that you listen is something that I will have to work on as part of my own failings. I don’t always listen when I hear things I don’t like. I try to understand that what you are saying comes from a place other than my own viewpoint, but I think that behind what you are saying are these same core beliefs and values that we share, and I have to respect you enough to actually listen to what you have to say, and I want you to do the same for me.

4)      Your love for your family is the thing that binds us together. As we look at the pictures of past wars, our fathers who fought in the great wars, and our own lives where our children are growing up and we hope to teach them about those same core beliefs and values that our parents and grandparents knew and thrived on, these are the things that keep us going and bind us together in our community.

5)      Your love of country is the thing that should actually bring us closer. Yes, we disagree about the way that we may institute tax policy or border security, but the main thing is that we both understand we are working to try and make the country better and safer and a more perfect union in the 21st Century. These things need to bind us together and not tear us apart.

6)      Your dedication to what you believe is something that never ceases to amaze me. I may not believe the same things your party does, but the dedication and sheer force of will does make me admire you for the strength of purpose from which you study the history of your political party and forge a path forward for your beliefs.

7)      Your sense of humor is my sense of humor. We share the same values in areas like sports, entertainment, global politics, achievements in the arts & sciences, and our awe of great performances and our love and pride of country when we watch the Olympics or see great movies together. We share these common experiences, and we can laugh at some of the funniest things we see. The foibles of everyday life are always something we will have in common. And we must never lose the ability to laugh even at ourselves, and the absurdity of our leaders and our own political parties as we all struggle to work through the multi-media messaging world we live in.

8)      We spoke of your dedication to your beliefs and your core values that we admire. We also admire dedication to cause, and the ability to persevere and to stand up for what we believe is right, even if it flies in the face of adversity. We are always hoping that we are on the side of victory, but we pray that we are going to be on the side of God and of righteousness in the long run, no matter which side of the aisle we are on.

9)      I like the fact that you have worked, as in any great relationship or marriage or long term friendship, through the years to make our friendship work by respecting my opinion and also liking me as a friend, and loving me as a person enough to persevere and that you feel that our friendship is worth saving, in spite of our differences.

10)  I know I will be there for you and I know you will be there for me. It’s as simple as that-in the end, in the foxhole, I want you to be beside me. I don’t care about the color of your skin or who you voted for or who you love or what you do in the privacy of your home, I love you for who you are today and the fact that you are my friend, and I will go to the mat for you and I believe you would do the same for me.



As you may have guessed, I have a friend in mind as I write this piece, in fact several friends. I’m sure many of you have several family members or close friends that might also come to mind as you scroll through this list. I’m hoping that we can use some of these ideas going forward, particularly as we begin another perilous campaign season fraught with controversy and surprises that await us. Here’s hoping we may take a minute in the heat of the campaign to simply take a breath and think about some of the reasons that we like those who are on the other side of the aisle from us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A list of Land Mines Trump is headed for

Here's the "short list" of all of Trump's incoming land mines as he hurtles towards his date with Destiny at the Inauguration. List of Donald Trump Landmines 1) Conflicts of Interest- His Business Interests are global 2) Billionaire (& Military) Cabinet appointments 3) Trump's Foreign Affair Shortfalls: The Knowledge Gaps 4) Trump's Mind-set: Bigotry, Racism, Misogyny- Remember how much "the blacks" loved him? 5) Race-baiting  Divisive Language : His Pettiness & Ego 6) The Conspiracy Theories -the weird beliefs-beginning with Birtherism. 7) His Temperament & Tweets & Trade wars -just the Tweets & Marketing that could turn on him 8) Immigration! -Building the Wall 9) Obamacare Repeal- what do you do with 20 million people +? Democratic Strongholds: Hillary's Laundry List of just some of the initiatives that were promoted by her in her speeches and on her website. These should be the bedrock

The Blurb Blog for May

Some of the topics that are pivotal to our time were on CSPAN and discussed in books currently...        On Economic Inequality and Civil Unrest ·          Kent State : 67 Shots: Kent State and the end of American Innocence- This has also been a returning theme with the riots and unrest caused after murder of George Floyd caught on video in Minneapolis; Reminders of Kent State were very real as National Guard have been deployed in many cities; ·          Film; New Deal era documentary from 1937 promotes government programs that put unemployed African Americans to work ... Lots of talk lately about creating a New Deal for the 21 st Century that surrounds our job losses & the growing income inequality ·          Essay: "I don’t want to die Poor”- economic struggles with student debt. This is one of the ongoing issues of our time in the 21 st Century,  addressed briefly during the 2016 Election, and then dismissed by the current administration in t

Do I have to come up there? The World as it SHOULD be...

There is much fear and anger of ‘the other’ that seems to be generated by this Administration and the entire GOP Congress running in 2018. And the Democrats are not always effective in countering any kind of attack that has been leveled against them. For instance, in the Senate race in Florida, there should be some debate, one week from the midterm election, about gun control. We have had the Trayvon Martin killing, the Pulse Nightclub attack and most recently the Parkland High shooting, along with the controversial “Stand Your Ground” law that has been the basis for many trials and deaths where this law has been invoked, including the Trayvon Martin trial. There has been very little discussion about the need in the Florida Legislature to adequately address gun control in Florida. And the need is greater than ever. The recent ads and DeSantis’ attacks on Gillum, as well as the back and forth from Scott and Nelson has been inadequate...I wish Nelson would talk abou